In this research service we provide ongoing analysis of developments in global markets for optical transport products in the long-haul DWDM, metro DWDM, integrated packet-optical transport and optical data center interconnect categories. We also report on legacy optical transport products in the SONET/SDN, MSPP and digital cross-connect categories.
Optical transport platforms are experiencing a revolution in capabilities. For example:
- Recently achieved module miniaturization has enabled higher clock speeds, which translate into higher baud rates for optical networking systems, increasing the combination of optical channel capacity and reach.
- Network system equipment vendors are responding to pressure from service providers to disaggregate optical networking lines and terminals and open up the network elements.
- A new class of optical terminal, the Compact Modular Muxponder Platform (CMMP), has arisen in today’s optical networking industry due to:
- The higher optical channel capacities,
- Demand for disaggregated systems and
- The emergence of data centers as a significant source of optical networking demand.
- The industry has developed new coherent DWDM pluggable terminations which, in some applications, can substitute for separate optical transport line termination platforms.
- The industry is introducing numerous methods of network automation, which requires that the optical network be software-controlled by servers remote to the network elements. This change changes the focus of system evaluation from platform features to control software capabilities.
The Intelligent Optical Transport Infrastructure research program adds analysis of these recent (and evolving) advances in optical networking to the traditional analysis of developments in global markets for optical transport products. This combined analysis includes:
- Evaluation of the drivers of optical network equipment deployment,
- The dynamics of the current optical networking marketplace,
- The technological evolution of optical networking platforms and systems,
- Forecast of the direction of the optical networking marketplace and
- Recommendations for service providers and equipment vendors.
- Forecasts of worldwide product uptake and revenues are provided twice annually, in the 1st and 3rd calendar quarters.
- Quarterly analyses of vendor market share plus the most significant industry announcements and developments are supplied.
- Quantitative table and qualitative documents and presentations are supplied.
- Information exchange with our team in advance of the delivery of reports and review/discussion time subsequent to their delivery are available and provided as desired.
- Additional time for discussion and exploration of specific topics in detail can be arranged as an optional retainer or add-on to the syndication.